Given a certain layout, a design should be developed for it.
When I say design I mean:
* fonts (the windows preinstalled ones) preferred.
* color scheme
* general visual effects (shadows, gradients, etc.)
* the positioning MUST be the same. (since it is aligned to be pixel perfect) It can be move, only if fonts are changed so a different alignment should be.
There are 2 templates that need to be developed:
1. for what it is supposed to be a home page.
2. for what it is supposed to be any other page of that website.
There are also several "reusable components" that must be designed and they are present in the "other page" template:
* modal window
* edit, combo, textarea, etc.
Do not use rounded corners for the components (framework limitation), only change the colouring scheme and gradients.
The actual result is just two PSD images (with their layers), not the actual HTML page, nor the content in it. So you just need good taste in colors and fonts, and solid knowledge of Photoshop. I am aiming at a simple, clean color scheme and fonts (see apple, facebook, google).
I will do the cropping of the images myself since I am using a custom technology stack. This is why the PSD with its layers should be provided.
If the design meets the standards, the same designer will be preferred for "maintaining" and expanding the design.
Showing a previous design will increase your chances.