I have a document store with many folders and subfolders filled with word documents in MS Word 2000 format (*.doc). These documents all have templates attached to them (see [url removed, login to view]) which are no longer valid. Since practically none of the documents will need further editing, the attached template can be entirely switched to the normal template. Furthermore, the documents should be converted to the newest format.
- Screen all word documents (*.doc) in a (selectable) folder tree, including subfolders
- Allow filtering of documents by age (creation date) to define scope
- Change the attached template to the normal template
- Automatically convert the document to the new format (*.docx), delete the old file.
- Create and keep a log file of all actions that includes at least: date and time, full path to document, performed action, success message or error description
- The app should provide real-time information about the progress: Current document, current action, number of documents already changed, number of documents remaining, optional: estimated time to finish.
General application requirements:
- The app must be usable without code changes, i.e. folder selection and filtering should be provided via custom and windows built-in dialogs
- Errors should be properly handled and not lead to app crashes
- The app will be run from a Windows 10 computer with MS Office 2016 installed
- You are free to choose your favorite programming environment, even a VBA module is accepted, as long as the other requirements are met.
- Your code should be well structured, well commented, and efficient.
- By proposing an app you confirm that you have full ownership of the code that you are willing to hand over in case of acceptance of your proposal.
Timeline and cost:
- The software should be properly tested and ready by December 25, 2015 at the latest
- Since thorough information already exists on the internet how to perform the mentioned kind of conversions and the developer will basically just have to put it all in context, I have estimated a work effort of 3-5 hours for a moderately experienced developer. But feel free to provide your own estimate.
- I provided detailed requirements about the platform and the requirements. If samples are required, I can provide them. Therefore, if the app needs more than one revision in order to work, or if it is not delivered on time, I will consider the project failed and will not continue with this developer. On the other hand, if the developer fulfilled all requirements, he will be preferentially considered for future projects.
I'm looking forward to your offers.